This blog will inform you about news on PDFCreator as well as aspects and stories around pdfforge.
philip | 2012-03-16 12:11
Just five days after PDFCreator 1.3.0 we are now releasing PDFCreator 1.3.1 to fix two severe bugs and some minor things. As many of you will have noticed, PDFArchitect did not load PDF files properly with the english translation. This is fixed now. The new pdfcmon.dll did crash on Terminal Servers, which is now fixed as well.
We have also fixed smaller things like the PDFCreator windows that stayed open after printing and the problems with special characters in the filename, which leaves brackets in the title. We have also added some languages and added a comman line parameter /Expert to the setup, which allows to set installation path and such again but leaves the average user in peace with this stuff.
Finally, we hope that there will be no need for a 1.3.2 in the next days.
philip | 2012-03-15 16:24
For many years now, we are using Drupal as our content management system. It has served us well and over some versions so far. As more visitors arrived, we had to enable different ways of caching and optimize the size of the pages, to keep the server load under control.
With the latest release, we again hit a limit on our server. Though the pages were cached, the apache server still had to call php, do some calculations and then server the site. So had to move one step further. We now use Varnish in front of our server. This allows us to serve the pages from the cache right away. To fully support the caching, we had to upgrade Drupal to the compatible Pressflow system. It is based on Drupal, but includes some optimizations for performance and caching issues present in Drupal.
With this new combination, we are able to serve regular pages really fast. When I use the developer tools of the Chrome browser, I see around 120 to 200 ms until the page html is loaded. The whole page including images is loaded and rendered in less than a second. That's really amazing. Now I am excited to see when we will have to upgrade the web site the next time...
philip | 2012-03-12 19:34
As you will have noticed, the new site had some problems during the day. We did not change anything fundamental in technicals means. We have rearranged the pages and made everything look better. But we have also released PDFCreator 1.3.0 and thus slashdotted ourselves.
During the day, we had to take the site down for a while, leave just a note where to download PDFCreator. We would like to say sorry to everyone who had problems today. Now, we have set up a Varnish cache in front of the site which is able to catch quite a lot of load off the main server. We will keep an eye on that.
We have also hit our free Quota limit on AppEngine, which we use to provide the download of PDFArchitect and Images2PDF. They are now up and running as well.
So this is the end of another rough day, but everything is looking good now. Let's hope it stay this way tomorrow morning...
philip | 2012-03-12 02:22
Together with the new PDFCreator release, we are happy to finally publish the new website. It has taken a lot of work to rethink everything. It became clear, that the old naturally grown site was not sufficient anymore and very confusing.
We have put some effort into making the site easy to use and understand. And to make it look better. You can now have a look around and please tell us what you think in the comments. If you should find any problems with the site, please also feel free to post a comment.
philip | 2012-03-12 01:47
We are proud to release PDFCreator 1.3.0 to the public today. In this release, much has changed. We have replaced the RedMon DLL with own code, which no longer requires workarounds due to the Windows Vista / Windows 7 UAC safety features. It also removes the requirement to the AFPL in our package. As this changed some fundamental parts, we were reworking big parts of PDFCreator and needed much testing.
The PDFArchitect now is available to the public and included in the PDFCreator package. It allows you to do some modifications in PDF files. You can merge them or rotate or delete pages.
We have also removed the Toolbar from the setup, as it caused some confusion among the users. We are now trying a different advertising partner. This should reduce the problems the users had with the toolbar, as they felt that it was installed without their knowledge.
There were some minor things we have done as well. We have raised the version of the GPL we use to v3 making it equal with Ghostscript. We have also raised the minimum Windows version to 2000, as our DLL requires that and the percentage of Windows 9x users is very low.
So we are looking at a big pile of work and hope that we won't have to push out the next version in a few days or hours because of some stupid bug we have overseen.